Boston, MA · Job # 8366BK
Our client is a privately-held publishing entity in the EDUCATION SEARCH domain. They are looking for someone with deep Java and AWS experience that would be comfortable in a hands-on position every day. They need someone who can lean on their personal delivery expertise to help guide a team of very seasoned engineers take on new solutions in the search, search aid and search intelligence space.
Bonus points for natural language processing (NLP), machine learning (ML), statistics modeling and algorithm development.
In this role, you will research, analyze, design, develop and sustain a large-scale, high-volume IR system. Projects include: multiple language support, semantic search, natural language processing, IR algorithms, localization, document ranking, clustering, indexing, search speed, scalability & resource efficiency, and manageability.
As a Software Engineer, you will work on an Agile development team building, testing and deploying great products and services for our customers. You will create information products and services that inform the world, advancing research in traditional and emerging fields and transforming learning and education.
- Provide expertise on system architecture, design, implementation, testing, delivery, and operation of premium company products
- Work directly with product management and your team while analyzing and decomposing complex software requirements into simple user stories for planning and execution.
- Collaborate with your team to estimate the size and complexity of the features. Perform the technical design, implementation, and testing of features and commit to stories to be accomplished in an iteration.
- Be a technical leader for product features, helping ensure that development activities are coordinated throughout the development cycle achieving scalable solutions for our customer base.
- Conduct new technology research, proof of concept, and design work that will provide direction for the enhancement of the search ecosystem.
- Mentor other engineers on the team.
- Assist other teams or ARTs on tasks in areas where your specific expertise is needed.
- Own system and feature quality throughout the development, testing and deployment phases to ensure quality delivery expectations are met.
- Drive value and continuously improve the quality of the team’s deliverables by authoring well-engineered solutions using test-first/test-driven methodologies.
- Provide ongoing maintenance, support and enhancements to existing systems and platforms.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of your team.
- Collaborate with other software engineers to elevate technology and consistently apply best practices for design, coding standards, performance, security, delivery, and maintainability.
- Demonstrate ownership of developed components from development through production.
- Exemplify the principles behind the Agile Manifesto and SAFe framework in all interactions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or other Technical related degree or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years of software development with demonstrated expertise in Java and C++.
- 5+ years of experience in large scale AWS based software design and development.
Skills or Experience That Sets You Apart:
- Advanced Degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or other Technical or Math related degree, or equivalent.
- Experience in multiple of the following areas:
- Search technology
- Multilingual information retrieval
- Natural language processing and machine learning
- Understanding of multivariate experiments and key indicators within the search domain
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to create diagrams, charts and graphs to convey concepts both to engineering staff and management
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, team-oriented work environment
- Demonstrated working knowledge and experience with Microservices and Microservice design patterns.
- Experience in a true CI/CD environment.