"Joining the right team can keep your career on course"
Cambridge, MA · Job # 8143BK
Our client company is searching for a Technical Manager or Director in the B2C domain.
- You will manage a team of skilled and experienced engineers.
- You will be responsible for facilitating discussions and decisions on technical strategy, work management, and process for the team.
- You will get your hands dirty and contribute to the technology platforms you are responsible for.
- You will provide insight to the overall company strategy by finding ways to deliver differentiating value via technology.
Technologies Being Used:
- Service-oriented Architecture, Rails and Clojure on the backend and Ember.js on the front-end.
- They focus on developing strong reusable APIs and Single Page Web Apps that work on top of them.
- They use AWS heavily and are building for high-availability and operational maturity from day one.
- You will successfully lead, manage, motivate, and retain A-player engineers. Help them plan out next steps in their development and achieve them.
- Jump in and contribute directly to the technology platforms. This is a management role but one in a young enough company where everyone still writes code.
- Work closely with product, marketing and business stakeholders to learn what metrics drive a high-growth consumer company and help us generate high-impact roadmaps both for customer facing applications and internal APIs/services.
You Should Have:
- Experience in designing high-availability, cloud-based platforms and shipping code.
- Have managed a team (small or large) of highly technical engineers and have examples of how you have made them successful and helped them progress in their careers.
- Care and have opinions about API design, lightweight development process, and technology architecture and strategy.
- Have a strong understanding of common development patterns, data structures, and algorithms (e.g. all that CS101 stuff), as well as familiarity with any flavor of SQL and data architecture (MySQL, Postgresql, Redshift, etc.)
- Strong at communicating both with a highly technical engineering team and business partners.
- Undergrad or graduate degree, CS degree strongly preferred.
- 10+ years of software development experience, ideally on a fast-moving lean/agile development team.
- Prior experience in the consumer space or with API design / full stack work for modern, single-page web applications.
- Expertise in a bunch of modern technologies/architectures that can contribute to setting and solidifying our technical direction for years to come.
- Have an eye towards rapid iteration while still ensuring security, reliability, and operational scalability.
- Have been responsible for growing, managing, and achieving business results with a team of high performance engineers.